'Tis the season! And while it feels NOTHING like Autumn here in
In honor of the first day of the season, i'm going to share a yummy, healthy-ish, fall APPLE dessert that showed up in my inbox today! So after you hit the orchards (yeah, we don't get to do that here either), whip some up!
Soymilk and fat-free ingredients offer a health twist to delicious bread pudding. From http://www.eatbetteramerica.com
prep time:15 min
start to finish:50 min
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup vanilla soymilk
1/2 cup fat-free egg product
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
5 cups 1-inch cubes French bread
3 tablespoons sliced almonds
1/4 cup caramel fat-free topping, heated
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 9-inch quiche dish or pie plate with cooking spray.
2. In large bowl, mix all ingredients except bread, almonds and caramel topping with wire whisk until smooth. Fold in bread. Pour into quiche dish; sprinkle with almonds.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and set. Cut into wedges. Drizzle caramel topping over each serving.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): No change.
Super Egg Substitutes
- Egg whites provide the protein from eggs but don't contain the cholesterol found in egg yolks. That's good news for your heart.
- Bread pudding made with a bread that's too soft can be very soft and almost mushy. Gently squeeze bread loaves to choose the one that has some resistance and doesn't feel like a marshmallow!