Search This Blog

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Pinterest #4 - clean silver quick

Greetings oh so patient blog readers. I have returned. I can't believe how fast time flies and that it has been nearly a month since my last post. Bad blogger, bad!

Well, Mr. P is working all weekend, so aside from catching up around the cottage since we've been out of town, I thought it was time for another Pinterest Post.

This one involves the dreaded task of polishing silver jewelry. I'd sooner slam my finger in the car door. Again.

I pinned a link to Crafted Love on how to make that task less painful.

First I gathered a few pieces of jewelry that I want to wear in the near future. Nice and tarnished....and a nightmare to polish.


Then I grabbed a glass pie plate
And added foil

Then I put the water on to boil
Then I dumped some baking soda on the foil
And laid my silver in
The key is for the silver to be touching the foil - everywhere.
This was taken with the flash on - the heart on my Tiffany bracelet there is indeed THAT dark. Sad I know.

Then when the water was boiling, I poured it over the jewelry

 You can already see the heart and clasp turning all shiny and bright!
Then you get hit with the stench of rotten eggs...two cheers for chemistry!
As you can see in the photo above, most of the chain links weren't touching the foil enough so I did another round and...ta da! No more tarnish!
Rinse off the baking soda residue and dry with a soft cloth - then slap that shiny goodness on and wear it proudly.


0 comments: