Search This Blog

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Lists. I'm a list maker...are you?

From Dictionary.com

list

–noun
1.
a series of names or other items written or printed together in a meaningful grouping or sequence so as to constitute a record: a list of members.
3.
Computers . a series of records in a file.
4.
a complete record of stocks handled by a stock exchange.
5.
all of the books of a publisher that are available for sale.
–verb (used with object)
6.
to set down together in a list; make a list of: to list the membership of a club.
7.
to enter in a list, directory, catalog, etc.: to list him among the members.
8.
to place on a list of persons to be watched, excluded, restricted, etc.
9.
Computers . to print or display in a list: Let's list the whole program and see where the bug is.
10.
to register (a security) on a stock exchange so that it may be traded there.
11.
Archaic . enlist.
–verb (used without object)
12.
to be offered for sale, as in a catalog, at a specified price: This radio lists at $49.95.
13.
Archaic . enlist.

Origin:
1595–1605;  special use of list 2  (roll of names, perh. orig. of contestants in the lists); cf. F liste  < It lista  roll of names, earlier, band, strip (e.g., of paper), border < OHG (G Leiste )


1.  register. List, catalog, inventory, roll, schedule  imply a definite arrangement of items. List  denotes a series of names, items, or figures arranged in a row or rows: a list of groceries. Catalog  adds the idea of alphabetical or other orderly arrangement, and, often, descriptive particulars and details: a library catalog.  An inventory  is a detailed descriptive list of property, stock, goods, or the like made for legal or business purposes: a store inventory.  A roll  is a list of names of members of some defined group often used to ascertain their presence or absence: a class roll.  A schedule  is a methodical (esp. official) list, often indicating the time or sequence of certain events: a train schedule. 6.  record, catalog. 7.  enroll.

When I Google "list" I get:
Craig's List
Angie's List
List interface for Java 2 platform
Top 10 Lists
and dozens of other things


Mr. Paisley is not a fan of my lists. I have lots of them. I have them everywhere. I keep spiral notebooks in the vehicles, the house, the cabin, my purse...I even have a holiday list. This is where I make notes about gifts i've purchased throughout the year so I know what I have and for who...in theory to make Christmas shopping less dramatic...errr traumatic!


I like to write. As in physically write (sort of becoming a lost art kind of writing). I still mail hand written thank you cards. I like stationary...


Back to the lists.


I need lists - they help me keep things in perspective. They keep me sane. They help me remember. 


I make lists at home for chores, for shopping, for organizing, for packing...I make lists at work because 10 people are pulling me in 20 directions and if I don't write it down, chances are it's not going to get done.


Right now i'm thinking it's Thursday night, Mr. Paisley is making dinner, i've already been in the hot tub (the new jets came today - woo hoo!), I have my pre-annual review at work tomorrow (this would be the one where you evaluate yourself, plead your case to your manager and then they do their own evaluation). We have a trip coming up, we have to move out of our old storage unit and into a new one - before said trip of course). Lists...i'm making several tonight. One for me, one for Mr. Paisley, one for the house, one for the trip...


So much to do - so little time. The lists just make me feel like I have it all under control (there's a false sense of security if there every was one!)


Here's my list of things that need to find there way onto lists tonight
  • clean out truck
  • detail truck (seriously, it's gross and I don't like dirty vehicles)
  • set up mail and newspaper hold
  • collect paper to sort (does paper breed in your house? I swear I take a big box or basket around the house each week and gather up all the paper - newspaper, coupons, recipes, notes, lists, bills, cards, magazines, etc to sit and sort while catching up on something on the DVR)
  • dishes
  • start laundry
  • ebay listings
  • file paperwork
  • set up roofer
  • pack for trip
  • set up pet sitters
  • clean cages
  • dust
  • vacuum
  • catch up on coupon clipping / filing
  • order new phone
  • buy netbook
  • BJs
  • Publix
  • CVS
  • Deposit check
  • Refinish and re-cover new office chair (you'll see that in another post)
  • Finish breadbox (another project you'll see here at some point)
  • Pick out new mailbox
  • Trim trees over driveway
  • Trim dead stuff out of palm trees
  • Gas for grill
  • Charge camera batteries
There's a peek into my next few days...just the tip of the iceberg of course. The list never ends...

Mead Three-Subject College-Ruled Spiral Notebook, 1 Notebook, Color May Vary (05748)Ampad 20-204 Evidence Perf 5x8 Jr. Legal Rule Pads, Red Margin, Canary, 50 Sheets, DozenZebra Sarasa Gel Retractable Roller Ball Pen, Medium, Transparent Barrel, 10 Assorted Ink Colors, 10 per Pack (46881)Lists for Life: The Essential Guide to Getting Organized and Tackling Tough To-Dos
 

0 comments: