Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Vintage Wrought Iron Patio Set Reveal!

I'm linking up to several parties with this post - i'm calling it thrifty because the table and chairs were free - I spent $9 on the outdoor canvas to re-cover the seats, and about $50 on spray paint, primer and frosting spray.  


Here and here I posted a project (re-covering patio chair seats) and a hint at an upcoming project. Well today's the day!  Mr. Paisley and I have stripped, wire brushed, heat gunned, scraped, cleaned, sprayed, cut, stapled, primed, and sworn...but it's done - and without injury to either of us! The vintage wrought iron patio set is now gorgeous! Thank you Mrs. Judy Alligood for giving me your mother's patio set some 12 years ago. The older I get, the more I appreciate it!

Before...
I know - I REALLY have to remember to take those before shots...this was when I first got it (1997)...in a kitchen that hasn't looked like that in YEARS (hey I was a single, messy, just out of college...yeah, not really an excuse for that mess, but that's my story). Eww...and I used to drink Diet Pepsi. Gross!
Here's Mr. Paisley working on the table (see I did take SOME before photos). 
and a chair that's rusting (because I started to strip it years ago) and a super faded cushion.
Mr. Paisley working on a chair (that's my Diet Coke with a razor blade scraper on top - I really was helping and not just taking the photos!)

Look at all that paint...

Mr. Paisley with the heat gun...
Me trying to scrape and take a picture at the same time! Those plastic razor scrapers are one of my favorite "tools" they work for so many things! That's Mr. P's hairy knee...not mine :-)


A quick coat of primer...
then on to the paint! I ended up choosing Rust-Olelum's Hammered Brown. My original thought had been a nice Oil Rubbed Bronze, but too many people said "everyone's doing it" Mom always told me I wasn't like everyone else...so brown it is! Which actually came out bronze-ish with the hammered finish. Perfect!
Voila! Here's one finished...3 to go plus the table.
Pretty details no longer gooked up with layers and layers of...house paint. 

Here it is set up for our party Memorial Day weekend
It needs a new glass top cut for it. When I got it, it had a plexi-glass top and I used it that way forever. Then it dawned on me (just last week) I should frost it! That way it'll look better until I get around to getting glass cut for it. I was just going to sand it - but Mr. Paisley informed me that the orbital sander was still at the cabin...in Tennessee. Plan B! Who knew they made "frosting in a can"? Well they do - Krylon does anyway. Mr. Paisley said the guy at Lowe's told him they didn't have it. My guess is, that he didn't ask. I ended up buying it at Joann's ETC with a 40% off coupon. Probably worked out better for my bank account that way. 
So there's my frosted glass. According to the can, it's not supposed to get wet. I guess it'll actually wash off. #1, it's the underside, so it shouldn't get wet and #2, it's usually on the side porch, not out in the yard...so it should be fine. If not, the orbital sander will be back home mid July.
More details that show now that all the layers of paint are gone. I love love LOVE how this turned out!
Coolaroo 10 Foot Round Cantilever Freestanding Patio Umbrella, SmokeGlass Frosting Spray Aerosol-InteriorRust-Oleum 210880 Hammered Metal Finish Spray, Brown, 12-Ounce








 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/











http://www.thethriftyhome.com
Also joining the linky party for ABC Wednesday - T is for TABLE this week!

18 comments:

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

What a great job you guys did. The colors are so pretty.

~Robin~ said...

Thank you! It was a lot of work - we did one chair with the sand blaster, but it wasn't any faster due to the amount of "wasted" sand just flying thru the open parts. Totally worth it though!

Dragonfly Lady said...

WOW! Wonderful transformation, now you can entertain all summer!

Shellbelle said...

Superb job! Looks like a lot of work, but the result was well worth the effort.

Sylvia K said...

That is fabulous! You guys did a terrific job! And it does look like lots of work, but definitely worth it. I love it! Enjoy the rest of your week and your "new" table and chairs!

Sylvia

Tumblewords: said...

Terrific thrifty! It's wonderful!

Amy said...

The color is perfect and thanks for the info on the frosting in a can!

Roger Owen Green said...

Nice work.

I have no patience or feel for doing this myself, so it's nice to see that others do.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Mara said...

Wow, that is some work you put into it! It all looks great though. I am jealous!

Jingle said...

these are very cool!
fabulous t post.

Heather said...

Amazing transformation, that sweat equity really paid off!

Visiting from The Thrifty Home

Sandy said...

The transformation is amazing! Great job.
Thanks so much for your visit to my blog today, was good to hear from you!
Sandy

http://thewondersofdoing.blogspot.com/

Pam said...

A perfectly perfect renovation. I wish I could find a great vintage set like that; you did a wonderful job!

Anonymous said...

You did such a fantastic job and made it look so doable...we have a similar iron patio set from his grandparents. If I can convince him that change is not always a bad thing (your pictures will help) maybe we can give it an update!
Thank you

Sandy said...

That is quite a transformation! It never fails to amaze me what a little spray paint and fresh fabric can do. Great job!

~Robin~ said...

Thank you all for stopping by!

Sandy said...

I forwarded project info to Judy. I know she'll be amazed by how beautiful the set now looks! Great job!

Wrought Iron Pittsburgh said...

The series of projects or pieces of furniture are indeed work of art. Very contemporary arts combined with such brilliant wrought iron concept. Great!