Search This Blog

Saturday, June 5, 2010

What's going on at the Paisley Cottage today?

For me it's cleaning, with a quick craft thrown in. I'm wading my way thru our guest room. It's basically a storage area for us since we don't have a garage. We closed the door to that room for the party last weekend. I'd sooner stab myself in the eye with a butter knife than let anyone in there. Not to mention it's RIGHT next to the bathroom that was redone...so everything in there is coated with 3/4" of drywall dust. I was in there for 5 minutes this morning before I had to take Zyrtec and go take a shower to get the dust off me. Good times.

Mr. Paisley was up and at 'em this morning and headed off to the U Pull & Pay - a local junk yard. We like them. They're cheap and they know what they have...AND they have all the vehicles listed on their website...which they keep current (hello great business plan guys!). It's $2 to go there. Yep, they have a cover charge LOL. Sometimes they do scratch off tickets where you can get free admission for you and a friend or a discount on what you buy or whatever. Anywho - they have 4 Fox body Mustangs right now. 3 are convertibles. We have a Fox body convertible. Mr. Paisley re-painted it last year (yep, genius redneck electrician and autobody / paint work - how lucky can I be?) It got put off for awhile and of course now he can't find some of the parts he took of it (they're here...somewhere...maybe in the guest room obscured by drywall dust). So he ran down there this morning to grab some parts. I don't know what all he got but for the parts and cover charge it was $9. One of the parts he snagged is a dimmer switch. I guess the one for the dash lights? Anywho - a replacement from the parts catalog is $99. So if it works, he saved $90 AND got some other junk parts for the car too.

I ran down to the Community Thrift Store - my little $5 table was gone (of course, no surprise there). The iron bed is still there (for the bargain price of $424 I can't imagine why). The other door that I only noticed in the photo was gone - or moved and I didn't see it. I picked up a lavender glass with Goofy on it for a friend of mine that collects Goofy. It was $2.04 after tax. I even managed to dig up enough change so they didn't have to break a $20 for me. 

Here are a couple of things I picked up at the Dollar Tree on Friday. Nothing special - 2 glass candle sticks and 2 glass cylinder vases.  I saw this on another blog awhile back so don't give me mad props for this one...i'm just a copy cat! Here's the blog 320 Sycamore she was inspired by an email from Williams Sonoma and their $80 hurricanes.



Note how the two pieces are stacked...well actually DRYING. Yep, glued together with some Gorilla Glue.

Oh look - Pottery Barn...theirs is silver-plate of course (and $59). I suppose one could hold out for a silver or wrought iron or wood or... candle stick for cheap at the thrift store...but i'm a Gen X-er...I want instant satisfaction - it was bad enough that I forgot about had to wait till today to whip out my Gorilla Glue and get to work (yea...cause it took me like a minute to do each one) on these. I might add the candles later on - and I might look for larger vases to use in the future...I mean for $2.14 and all...

So here's my final project. They've been drying for a few hours and they seem pretty solid. I think the Gorilla Glue said 30-60 minutes. As you can see, mine are filled with...ummm bowl filler. Natural looking things. Wicker balls, dried nuts, some bundled sticks, and weird seed pods. I found bags of them in the candle section next to the potpourri (this stuff isn't scented) at Dollar Tree.

Not bad for less than $7 eh? And I won't be devastated if one gets broken. Fabulous!


The Girl Creative
The DIY Show Off


http://thepersimmonperch.blogspot.com/
Cristal D'Arques Longchamp Candle Sticks, Set of 2
Cylinder Floating Candle Vase Set of 36Cardamom Seeds 3.5oz 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the glass holders that you made. I've purchased some glass stuff from the Goodwill and made some pieces sort of like these, but I've never thought to check out the dollar stores. Going to look on my next visit there.
~Cindy~

Unknown said...

This is beautiful and I have an old candlestick like that. I need to keep my eye out for a glass container.

Debbie said...

Wow! this is cool! I'm going to try this and add seashells. Thank you for sharing this.
Debbie@houseatthelake

mle said...

These are awesome! They look great and can be made in a flash - what could be better? thanks for the tip!!

Potatoez n' Pineconez said...

These look great ~ I will be making some in the future.